By Scott Mathias –Integrative Health Coach and Founder ilifefoods.com
Natural herbs and spices derived from ‘earthly sources’ have always played a part in the healing of humanity. You too may use some of nature’s wonders to bring about a healing depending on what condition your body is suffering from.
One of the most amazing healing spices freely available is Turmeric. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.
Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukaemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloid plaque build-up in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumours.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodelling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.
Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it's fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favourite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavour and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.
I use Turmeric fresh because I can get it regularly from my local Farmers Market. Drop a clump of it into your morning smoothie!!
Use only as your commonsense directs and seek the opinion of the Doctor within before using Turmeric.
Scott Mathias is a Certified Integrative Nutritionist and Professional Health Coach. Based in Noosa, Queensland he consults to clients around Australia including conducting seminars, public speaking engagements and corporate health groups. His special area of interest is the digestive function and eating food which promotes LIFE!! He is also the creator of an all Australian range of 100% PURE Superfoods from www.ilifefoods.com
CLICK HERE to go to Scott’s Health Coaching website.
CLICK HERE to join Scott’s Health Coaching FaceBook page.